Sunday, October 6, 2019

Danielle Hartman

Danielle Hartman, back for her second season with MDTC, performs in Raks al-Sai'id in 2018's 15th Anniversary concert.  (Photo by Gary Heller.)


My earliest childhood memories are of playing records and dancing in my living room, I can't really imagine what life would be like without dance! It really is a universal language.

I tried a Middle Eastern dance class when there was a schedule change at my regular studio, and I was immediately hooked. It is a completely different way of moving than Western dance forms, and it allows you to relate to your body in a more nuanced and internal way.

What surprised me most about this dance form is that I would love it so much! As I have been immersing myself in different dance forms over the years, I still keep coming back to Middle Eastern dance. There are many different folkloric styles within this dance form, and I am very interested in the dance rituals used as spiritual practices and for healing. But, time management is always a challenge between training, rehearsals, and a full time office job.

I was a fan of the company for several years before I was invited to join, so I'm very excited to be able to contribute to such professional performances. I also enjoy getting swept up in the theatricality of the storytelling pieces. The repertoire includes many styles of dance, which is great to be able to practice with such attention to detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment